May 27 Update:
In light of the current and unknown COVID-19 restrictions on gathering sizes which may remain in place throughout the summer, the 2020 NCCSA Language Arts/Science Summer Professional Development seminars previously scheduled for July 28, 2020, at Wake Christian Academy are postponed until next summer. We know many individuals were planning to attend this event, so we look forward to the event taking place in the summer of 2021. Please review a few details related to this decision:
- For weeks, most assumed that North Carolina’s Phase 2 would allow up to 50 individuals indoors with the thought that Phase 3 would allow up to 100. However, when Governor Cooper’s Phase 2 was announced that limited indoor groups to 10, it was evident these restrictions would hinder the availability of this event.
- Although it was our original plan to wait until July 1 to make a decision based on the current restrictions, at this time, there is no way to know what the Phase 3 restrictions will be. With the high probability that indoor restrictions would prohibit this event from occurring, we think it is best to postpone this event until next summer.
- We have communicated with Mr. Mike Woods, host head of school, from the beginning, and it would be difficult to structure the event to allow for social distancing—even if the restrictions were lifted. At an event like this, we are not prepared to check for temperature, have enough rooms for individuals to sit at least six feet apart, etc.
- New Category A CEU Opportunity – Because the seminars are being postponed, the NCCSA will be offering 5 hours of Category A NCCSA CEUs sometime in August. The speakers will be Dr. Jason Haas (NCCSA Director of Programs and Services), Dr. Cathy Dotson (Wilmington Christian Academy Elementary Principal), and Dr. Phillip Alsup (Maranatha Baptist University’s Assistant Vice President of Online and Distance Education). This will be an online event structured for your faculty/staff to watch together or separately. More details will be available in the coming days.
- Teacher Certification Extension – For those individuals who were planning to attend this event to meet continuing education requirements, please note that an extension will be available. In light of unknown COVID-19 restrictions, we are waiting until August when a decision will be made about the feasibility of holding the 2020 Southeast Christian School Convention. Once that decision is made, various details regarding an extension for teacher certification will be available.
This one-day event will include sessions and lab activities covering elementary, middle school, and high school language arts and science (chemistry, biology, physics, etc.).
Please note that, according to the NCCSA Certification Manual, at least 35% of CEUs for NCCSA-certified personnel must be at official NCCSA events such as the educators’ convention, summer professional development, etc.
Register by June 1 to receive the early bird discount. Registration will take place online, and you will be able to pay by check or credit card.
The registration link, additional registration information, speaker information, topics, and other details are available by CLICKING HERE.
NCCSA State Office